Saturday, September 24, 2005

seven of nine

Seven of nine is a character in star trek voyager. She is my favorite.. a combination of logic, beauty and brawn. She is a cyborg.. half human half android. or they just call that android.. Anyway when i was younger mga 5 years ago.. I wanted be like her someone who has no emotions and runs in pure logic.. For me kasi you're vunerable when you have all those emotions that cloud your brain. an excess of energy at times.

Seven of nine journey is finding her humanity.. developing social skills and rediscovering emotions and understanding logic of compassion.

Times changed.. ever since i got to nursing.. i found myself for this past few days finding my own journey. Like seven.. i'm also in search for my humanity.

I am not a saint, a nun or a charismatic person.. Although i am high at times.. and I can act that way and charm others but thats not me.

Patient C: I took care of a patient with high risk pneumonia (highly infectious) and psoriasis (a skin infection, signs are redness, lesions and itching).. Candy and Chaoi took care of him.. e award winning student nurses yun, ulta NPI (nurses patient interaction).. tsaka aliw na aliw talaga mga patiente sa kanila. Na-toxic ako dun sa patiente nung hirap siya mag communicate. I made up for it naman.. I don't know.. I'm not a chatty person or malambing one. It's not in my nature,, And being compassionate that's not innate to me.. I mean madali ako maawa but sometimes matagal.. ewan ko ba. Nung paalis na ako.. I said goodbye. Kasi nahihirapan siya huminga and he always say that he's going to die. He is beginning to lose hope.. I said sorry to him, kasi natoxic talaga ako sa kanya.. He couldn't speak kz and communication was really hard. Later on after a day or two nakakapagsulat na siya so hindi na toxic. Sabi ko sa kanya Alam mo ba napamahal na ikaw kina chaoi at candy (mga classmates ko).. hindi ka pa nila ganun katagal kakilala what more yung mga naghihintay sayo na mga naiwan mo. If I were in your shes Matapos mapagdaanan ang ganung hirap, hindi ako susuko. siyempre mas gusto ko mabuhay hindi ako papayag na mag give up.. I made him promise na he wont lose hope.

PAtient B: There are some views that i stand by.. As nurses and mga members of the health team.. We should be the last one to give up on the patient.. Kanina sabi ni Candy to tell our patient to let go if nahihirapan na siya.. what I said to him was.. I'm not telling you to hold on or to let go.. Hold on if thats what you believe in, give in when you can't bare the pain. He is not in a coma.. but he is in pain.. he is waiting for his son from Qatar to come home.

I don't think i'll have that nightengale award.. I just want to ensure my job is done right.. emotional support is important.. haay.. basta i have to ensure a passing board exam.. develop skills, enrich knowledge.. then somehow find my way in search for my humanity.

For me.. being human is being compassionate and falliable. Idealy in some cases we really have to strive for perfection.

Pattient Asu2: May na admit na americano nung papaalis na kami.. tapos na shift.. BP niya 190/80.. sabi niya do i look bad. i reassured him sabi ko.. he'll be ok.. they'll just monitor your BP and when it goes down you'll be transferred to the ward and he should relax and get rested. Makikita mo naman kasi talaga yung toxic na patient sa ward. Tapos he thanked me. I forgot how old he was, He had silver hair and a large man and speak good tagalog. He was born here in the philippines and has a filipina wife. Has two grown kids. You could tell right away that he is one the nicest person you'll meet and he does melt your heart. He is the perfect ending in my duty sa micu. :) Na kahit papano.. he made me feel that i did something right.

What I've learn in the 2 weeks exposure sa micu:
Learn everything para lahat magawa mo to help your patient. Secondly patient first before nurses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home